The World according to DocBrain

Thursday, May 15, 2008

A capitalistic view

It is 2008! I can buy a song on line for $0.99. Easy. No problemo! Just log on, choose, and send in my money. Giving to charity is just as easily done. I buy what I want and give to who I want. I like that! Different vendors compete for my money. I can even contribute to political campaigns on line! Seems to work. I spend my money just as I want to without anyone telling me what to do. So, here is the thought of the day: why can't taxes be collected and apportioned in the same way? Furthermore, why can't income taxes be voluntary? Give as much or as little as you want. Give it to whatever program you want in whatever proportion you want. The websites could keep a running tally showing how close they are to their budgets, so you could see if your money would be wasted (overfunded) or needed (underfunded). Each program could show its statistics on what it is spending its money on, successes and challenges for the future, and plans for spending the money you are donating. You could use a simple calculator to estimate the fair amount of total contribution that would be appropriate for you. Perhaps a minimum, but no maximum. This would enable those with money to spend it where they believe it would do the most good. Government agencies would have to compete for your dollars, and we, the taxpayers, would win from this competition. If you really liked a program or an administration, you could give even more than the minimum and be a government sponsor! Could corporations, unions, and special interest groups do the same thing? Of course! This would make government have to demonstrate value, and would limit the power of government to tax and spend without citizen oversight.

Comments appreciated!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home